- 2 Gal. water
- 1 1/2 Lb. dry macaroni or small penne pasta
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 4 Cups chopped sweet onions
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Qt. milk, heated
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. hot red pepper sauce (Franks)
- 1 Qt. grated sharp Cheddar cheese (1 lb.)
- 48 Slices KRONOS Beef & Lamb Gyros, cut into strips, (approx. 2 lb. 6 oz.) OR KronoBROIL® Gyros Slices
- 3 Cups drained canned diced tomatoes
- 1 Cup buttered bread crumbs*
- Heat water in a large pot to boiling; add pasta and cook, stirring often, 9-11 minutes or until just tender. Drain pasta and toss while cooling to prevent sticking. Hold.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat; add onions and saute 6-8 minutes, stirring often, until dark brown and caramelized.
- In a large sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat; whisk in flour cook 3-4 minutes, whisking constantly, over medium high heat. Slowly whisk in hot milk, a little at a time, to create a smooth sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer sauce 3-4 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, salt, hot sauce and mix well. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Adjust seasoning if needed. Keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat; add Kronos Beef & Lamb Gyros strips and cook several minutes, stirring often to cook and brown evenly. Meat should start to darken and become slightly crispy. Remove from heat and drain cooked meat. Hold
- In a large bowl combine cooked macaroni, cheese sauce, caramelized onions, cooked gyros, and tomatoes and gently mix to combine. Transfer to a greased deep half-size hotel pan or divide into 12 x 2 cup individual casseroles.
- Top casserole with butter bread crumbs* and bake in preheated 350°F. oven for 35-40 minutes or until heated through and bubbly and crumbs are golden brown. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, at least 15 minutes before serving.
*Buttered bread crumbs
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
- Combine crumbs with butter and mix well. Use as directed above
Yield: 12 servings
Portion: 1 1/2 cups